Monday, August 13, 2012

NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer Review, Swatches


Last Thursday, after being stranded and unable to go home for a few days because of the flooded impassable roads, I felt badly in need of a pick-me-up. I have ran out of cream concealer and was fully intending to buy another tub of MAC Studio Finish at the end of the month but while browsing through some beauty blogs, I noticed that the NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer appears to be having some good reviews. So I headed over to Digital Traincase and ordered me some. I got Beige and Orange.
NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer in Beige and Orange. Don't let the pictures fool you-- they are darker than they appear in the pictures. Beige is perfect for me and I am NC 30, light-medium.
I was intending to get medium and green, but somehow, ended up with beige and orange. This was because some bloggers said that the medium was bound to be too dark for my NC30 skin. As it turns out, they were right. Beige is indeed a good shade match for me. As for the orange, I don’t really know why I got it. I have read somewhere that this shade would be great for the undereye area so I thought I would give it a shot. After all, considering that one MAC concealer tub costs P1000 in the local department stores, paying P285 for each jar was a good deal.
NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer in beige and orange
 I have to say, kudos to Digital Traincase for prompt shipment. I paid for my order Thursday midnight using paypal, and Saturday afternoon, they were already delivered. They were securely packaged too. This is my first order from her but I expect to be back.
My order came securely packed. I got free shipping too because my total purchase was over P400.
 I have been reading that this concealer is a good dupe for MAC Studio Finish and in my opinion, that is right. It was creamy, and very pigmented so just a light dab goes a long way. The coverage is already awesome, and lasting power is good. Now, I volunteer as a medic/firefighter so I was curious about whether it can hold up to water so I dabbed some on the back of my hand and ran it under the tap. The color seems to hold up well, so it passes the water test, just like the MAC version does.

NYX also claims that it’s creasefree and it is indeed that—but then again, except for Benefit Boi-ing, I don’t really complain that much about that. So expect some creasing but nothing too major that can be noticed by other people —after all, what concealer doesn’t?
NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer in beige and orange, unblended swatches
NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer in beige and orange, when blended into skin. Beige disappears but orange leaves behind a stain.

I got this intensity just by lightly swirling my fingertip on the top of the product. That orange is so pigmented, its crazy!
 After dabbing the beige shade on some blemishes, I buffed some light powder all over my face. Later, patted some more of the beige near the nose area where redness tends to peak through after powder has worn off and as long as I use just enough to cover the redness, there was no caking. I’m thinking this makes it perfect for touch-ups.

All of these pertains to the beige shade, because I found that the orange is a fail for me because of the color choice. It is just too… orangey for me. Still, great formula so I will find a way to use this. I am already thinking that it will be good for contouring in a pinch, and also to darken foundation when I do makeovers for anyone a bit darker than yours truly. My poor tita is often complaining that my face makeup are too light for her.

I will definitely buy more of the beige shade when I run out. However, because you get 6g of product and you only need very little, I see myself getting a lot of mileage before that happens. (For comparison, MAC concealers contain 7g of product in a tub.) If I give in to my lemmings, I might get green too. 

Are you thinking of getting NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer? Have you tried it already? Do share!

3 comments:

  1. Orange works if you have purplish/bluish undereye circles. It cancels out the darkness under the eyes so when you top it off with a skintone concealer it would look so flawless. You should have bought the green one, perfect for redness. But anyhow, good review dear Chrystal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to get this na!! Esp the orange ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven’t tried it yet but I’m looking forward to it. I think I’ll be purchasing it next week. :)
    xo,
    ~Pauline @Nyx Philippines

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...