Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Reader Question: Can I use a stippling brush with loose mineral foundation?

First of all, I would really like to thank you lovely readers, who for some reason or another, happen to land in my blog. I am not the best when it comes to blog promotion and networking and despite spending several hours a day bloghopping through my favorite beauty sites, I just somehow don't find the time to reach out as much as I want.
So anyhow, in my review for Ellana loose mineral foundation fellow blogger Dinna left this comment:

Hi, have you tried applying your Ellana foundation with a stippling brush? French Vanilla is also my recent purchase and I've been thinking of buying a stippling brush for mineral makeup application, but I've been dilly-dallying about buying the brush 'cause most YouTube vids and blogs I've come across with mostly use the stippling brush for liquid or cream foundation. Can you share me your thoughts? Thanks! Your blog and reviews are really nice, btw. :)

Dinna


I actually started replying to this comment and what I intended to be just a few sentences turned into a few paragraphs before I realized that I may as well create a new post about it. That way, I can give a more comprehensive answer.

So in response to the lovely Dinna's question, here goes:


Hi, Dinna! Thanks for the compliment. So the deal with stippling brushes is that the duofiber has thinner bristles at the tip, which lets you apply products lightly. You can actually use stippling brushes for powders too, especially when your intention is to avoid using too much-- for example, when you don't want to go overboard with applying a very pigmented blush or bronzer. This YouTube gurus love using it with liquids and creams-- liquids and creams tend to have heavy formulations and a stippling brush is perfect for applying just a thin layer so you get an airbrush finish (well, depending on how good your technique is).

Now with mineral foundation, you really have to pack it on in order to get the coverage and a stippling brush is not the best tool for that, unless you are going for a barely-there look.I do use a stippling brush with my Ellana foundation, but only if I'm already wearing a full-coverage BB cream underneath. That's because I only need to use a little powder to mattify since I'm getting the coverage from another product. Using the stippling brush actually helps me avoid caking. When I use a stippling brush with French vanilla, I get very minimal coverage-- yung parang biglaang retouch ng face powder ang peg, if you know what I mean. You won't be able to build the product up enough for the foundation to do its intended job. Flat top brushes are still my best bet for mineral foundation.

A stippling brush is still a great investment anyway. You are bound to get a lot of uses, so if you have the budget one of these days, get one too, even if it's just an inexpensive one from elf (only P250, if I'm not mistaken).

Hope this helps, Dinna! Feel free to drop by anytime.

Your die-hard flat top brush fan,
The Kikay Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...